Yesterday the Student and I went foraging for morels for the first time. The first hour or so we came up completely empty, but encouraged by seeing others slowly walking the woods with heads down, we pressed on.

On a small rise, with some downed trees we started to find some Half Free morels, then found a few blondes. Not many but enough to make us want to go out again

Here is a comparison: Half-free on the outside, blondes on the inside.









Eighteen ounces later, all cleaned and prepped.










By the way I am not a professional mushroom hunter and you should not use this page for identification. If you are not sure, don’t eat it. Mushrooms can cause poisoning and death.

Until next time, Keep Digging & Eat Well!