It’s that time of year when the zucchini can start to come on at a furious rate. I’ve only got one plant and it is keeping me happy with zucchinis. Checking them every day keeps them from become as big as tree trunks. But what to do with them?
I’ve made zucchini cakes before so thought I’d share them with you today. Simply put they are grated zucchini with a few add-ins, pan fried in a little olive oil.
Zucchini – from garden
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup (125 ml) grated pecorino romano
3/4 cup (175 ml) bread crumbs
1 Tablespoon (15 ml) flour
1/4 teaspoon (2 ml) baking powder
Crushed red pepper
Olive oil for cooking
- Trim up the Zucchini
- Line a bowl with a cotton dish towel (not terry cloth). Grate zucchini into the bowl.
- Wring out the zucchini. Keep the zucchini juice for soup or, drink it as I did. Refreshing!
- To the grated drained zucchini add the cheese, shallot, garlic, eggs, bread crumbs, flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt, pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Spoon about 1/4 cup for each cake, flatten with a fork.
- Fry until brown, flip and brown other side.
- Remove and drain on paper towel.
Until next time, Eat Well and Keep Digging!