As I mentioned I have a whole bunch of cucumbers to use up. And I just picked another 2.5 lbs!
This time I’ve made sweet relish – (from Balls Blue Book of Preserving)
Sweet Pickle Relish
2 cups onions, peeled and chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup salt
3 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. celery seed
1 Tbsp. mustard seed
- I used my food processor to process the vegetables very small, but you could also chop your vegetables by hand.
- Place vegetables in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and mix
- Cover with cold water and let stand 2 hours.
- Drain, rinse and drain very well again.
- Combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed and mustard seed in a non-reactive large pot. Bring to a boil, stir to dissolve sugar.
- Add drained vegetables return to boil. Lower heat and simmer 10 minutes
- Pack hot relish into hot sterilized 1/2 pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Place caps on and tighten
- Place in hot water bath and process for 10 minutes
I can’t wait to try this on a burger!
Until next time, Eat well and Keep Digging!