It’s mid-summer and has been hot as the blazes lately, but the thunderstorms all morning have put me in a cocooning kind of mood. To me a stay-in Sunday just begs for baked goods.
Almost everyone has had zucchini bread. But I have no zucchini. – No matter, I have crooked neck squash and that should be close enough
Summer Squash Bread
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated crooked neck squash
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
- Grease and flour 2 loaf pans
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together
- Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl
- Add sifted ingredients to the wet mixture, and beat well
- Stir in squash, nuts and raisins until well moistened and evenly incorporated
- Pour batter into loaf pans
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool in pan on rack for at least 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool
This bread is excellent toasted, it also freezes well, just be sure it is completely cooled and well wrapped before freezing.
Until next time, Eat Well and Keep Digging!