I’ve had a taste for some smoked duck since I first smoked some chickens in my new smoker. I’ve been delayed by several severe storms but last night I finally got my smoke on.
With it being summer and all, smoked duck might seem a little heavy, but if we use it as an accent we can have a delicious light dinner. What could be lighter than fresh spring rolls? Of course you could use chicken or any protein, even tofu strips. But it wouldn’t even be as close to the deliciousness that these represent.
Smoked Duck Spring Rolls
2 smoked duck breasts (1 duck’s worth)julienned
Carrot, cabbage, radish,green onion all julienned (The radish, onion and basil are from the garden. This makes me very happy.)
spring roll skins (available in the Asian aisle)
- Fill a bowl with warm water
- Dampen a tea towel and place on a flat surface
- Place a spring roll skin in the bowl warm water. It’ll soften in less than a minute
- Remove skin carefully from bath, and lay flat on damp towel. Flip over to blot other side then lay flat on work surface. From here on out it’s pretty much like making a burrito.The folding method is the same.
- Place filling in lower third of wrapper
- Fold over the bottom then fold the two sides in.
- Roll it up
- Repeat ten times
I should have taken pictures of the last one not the first. I definitely got better as I went along. Served with some chili dipping sauce. (And I should have cut it on a bias but I was tired and hungry.)
Until next time, Eat Well & Keep Digging!