In preparation of Korean style BBQ beef short ribs, I’m making this recipe for Quick Kimchi. I don’t have a lot of time so we’ll try this quickie method.
This recipe is adapted from Tyler Florence of the Food Network.
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup rice vinegar (I used white vinegar)
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons hot chili paste
1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Remove outer leaves from cabbage. Cut cabbage in quarters and remove the tough inner core. Pretty huh?
- Slice across sections into 1/2-inch slices.
- Put into a colander, add salt, and mix well.
- Place over a bowl and let drain, covered, until wilted, about 2 hours.
- In a large bowl combine the vinegar and sugar and stir to dissolve. Add the chili paste, ginger, garlic, and stir.
- Rinse the salt off the cabbage with a couple of changes of water. I used my trusty salad spinner.
- Dry well and add to the vinegar mixture; stir well to combine. Put into a sterilized glass jar and pack the cabbage down; add enough water to cover.
- Close the jar and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. This is spicy and gets spicier the longer it sits
Until next time, Eat Well & Keep Digging