This is a super simple appetizer or meal, yet it is surprisingly filling and delicious. It’s fast too, perfect for a busy weeknight.
There isn’t a ton of cheese, just enough to hold everything together. Feel free to jazz this up as you see fit. Wringing the water out of the zucchini is key to the success of this recipe.
Zucchini and Black Bean Quesadillas
1 lb (500 g)zucchini grated – about 2 medium (7″)
1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced fine
1 15 oz (475 g) can blackbeans drained and rinsed
1/2 medium onion sliced very thin
8 ounces (225 g) grated cheese
6-8 flour tortillas 8″ diameter
- Grate the zucchini
- Add a generous pinch of salt and put zucchini into a colander
- Grate the cheese, drain and rinse the beans
- Dice the jalapeno and slice the onion
- Put the zucchini in a non terry cloth dish towel, wrap the loose ends of the towel and (over a sink or a bowl) wring out the moisture, I easily got a cup. See how much the squash compresses?
- Add squash, beans, onions, jalapeno and cheese to a big bowl. Mix together thoroughly
- Preheat large griddle or pan. Brush oil on one side of a tortilla, place in heated pan oiled side down, add a generous amount of the bean zucchini mixture
- Oil another tortilla and place it over the filling, oiled side up. Cook until bottom tortilla is golden brown, flip and cook other side
- Cut into quarters and served with homemade salsa, and yogurt
Crispy, flaky tortilla, dense and satisfying filling. And just one was enough for dinner. Be sure to give this one a try!
Until next time, Eat Well & Keep Digging!