It’s been a few weeks since I’ve posted a Meatless Monday dish. So hopefully I can make up for it with this simple yet elegant dish.
Last summer I put up some Tomato Eggplant Relish. While it is good on toasted slices of baguette, it is outstanding warmed up over pasta. For tonight I’m going to switch it up and instead of pasta, I’ll make a creamy cheese polenta, and top it off with a drizzle of pureed roasted red peppers! If you don’t have any relish, a saute of summer vegetables and a bit of tomato sauce would work just fine as well. Zucchini, eggplant, peppers all would be great. Feel free to mix it up!
Tomato Eggplant Ragu over Polenta with Roasted Red Pepper Coulis
1 cup Tomato Sauce – from the garden last year
1 1/2 cups polenta or yellow cornmeal
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups milk
water as needed
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1.5 cups roasted red peppers – If using canned – rinse the off and pat dry
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot add milk and cream bring the milk and cream mixture up to a simmer and gradually pour in the cornmeal in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Once the milk is completely absorbed, lower the heat and set a timer for 20 minutes.
- Continue cooking, whisking often, until the timer goes off, add water if the mixture is too thick (it should be similar to creamy mashed potatoes).
- When the timer goes off the polenta should be thick and smooth. Add butter, grated cheese, salt and pepper. stir to incorporate completely.
- While the polenta was cooking, add the Eggplant relish and tomato sauce to a pan, and heated gently.
- Puree the roasted red pepper using the immersion blender – a regular blender would work just fine too.
The polenta is stick-to-your ribs filling, rich and cheesey, and serve as a nice counter point to the acid tomatoes. This dinner can be on the table in under 40 minutes which makes it a delicious weeknight meal,
Until next time, Eat Well & Keep Digging!