So often vegetarian dishes seem like a side dish. Thankfully this isn’t one of them. Hot and hearty, this is stick to your ribs goodness. Simple to make, and satisfying to eat. No one will miss the meat in this meal.
Since all the ingredients are cooked ahead before assembly, you can make it a day ahead and refrigerate until ready to heat and eat. As I like to say, this is super flexible – use whatever vegetables you have on hand. Don’t be afraid to aggressively season this casserole.
Bulgar Lentil Pie with Sweet Potato Crust
2 cups prepared Bulgar
2-3 cloves garlic minced
2 carrots diced
1 onion diced
2 stalks celery diced
1 small green pepper seeded and diced
1 small eggplant diced
2-3 large sweet potatoes
1-1.5 cups vegetable stock
1 tablespoon butter
Splash of milk
2 tablespoons olive oil divided
1-2 teaspoon(s) salt for vegetables
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Generous pinch of chili powder
1/4 cup each bread crumbs and Parmesan
- Prepare Bulgar and lentils according to directions on packages
- Place eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with salt, allow to drain while cooking other vegetables
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes, put in pot, cover with water bring to boil and simmer until tender – about 20 minutes
- In a large pan over medium high heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil until hot, add the vegetables and salt
- Cook, stirring often until crisp tender
- Dry eggplant and add to pan, add additional olive oil – you may not need all of it
- Cook until the the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.
- Add soaked bulgar and cooked lentils to vegetable mixture. Add cumin, pepper, and chili powder and fold together.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- When sweet potatoes are tender, drain and mash with butter and milk until smooth.
- Grease or use cooking spray on 8″ square pan.
- Pack Bulgar/lentil/vegetable mixture into pan, smoothing top.
- Add vegetable stock, it shouldn’t rise over the top of the vegetable mixture.
- Top with layer of mashed sweet potatoes. If you try to just spread potatoes on, it will make a mess. You’ll have more success by forming small potato patties and placing them on top of the vegetable mixture, and smoothing edges.
While potatoes cook…..
At this point you can cool and refrigerate until ready to heat.
To heat, preheat oven to 350F
Sprinkle top of casserole with bread crumbs and Parmesan. Bake for 45-60 minutes.
Until next time, Eat Well & Keep Digging!