After a shopping spree to Super H Mart – (which it turns out has been there for years, I’ve just been uninformed) I have some frozen baby octopus that I want to make in two styles- Basque and Greek.
For poaching liquid
4 cups water
1.5 cups white wine
.25 cups lemon juice.
3/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic
3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
splash of lemon juice
Olive oil and lemon
Boiled new potatoes – sliced into rounds
- Thaw, rinse and drain octopus.
- Add poaching liquids in a pot, add octopuses and bring to a gentle boil. Simmer for 45 minutes-hour while poaching, combine marinade ingredients in big seal top bag.
- Drain and cool octopus, add to marinade in bag.
- Put in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, overnight works too.
- Prepare charcoal grill (you can use gas but it won’t have the same flavor)
- Drain and place octopuses in grilling basket.
- Grill over high heat for minutes until crispy and there is some char on them.
- Remove from heat and basket.
- Halve octopus
- Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Arrange sliced potatoes on plate
- Rough chop the octopus, put on potatoes sprinkle with sweet paprika, drizzle with olive oil.
They both were good. The Basque style is a little darker in flavor as would be expected from the smoked paprika. The Greek style was a little brighter flavor; perfect for a summer day.
Personally, I preferred the Basque style. Damn fine!
Until next time Eat Well & Keep Digging!