The other day while I was smoking some pork butts for BBQ I had some time on my hands as well as about 5 lbs of cucumbers. I’ve made sweet pickles, I’ve made relish. Dill pickles would round out my pickle storage requirements. I used the recipe right out of the Ball Blue Book.
While I didn’t have as many pickles as suggested for the recipe I figured if I had a little extra pickling liquid that would be OK. It’s very inexpensive.
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup canning salt
1 quart each: vinegar, water
3 TBS mixed pickling spices
garlic (1 clove per jar)
Jalapenos – 1/2 pepper per jar
- Wash cucumbers, drain
- Split lengthwise and trim off a little the blossom end. (I ended up quartering them to fit the jars better
- Combine, sugar, salt, vinegar and water in a large sauce pot
- Tie spices in a spice bag (I used cheese cloth), add spice bag to vinegar mixture
- Bring to boil then simmer for 15 minutes
- Pack cucumbers into sterile jars, add jalapeno slice, dill and clove of garlic to each jar
- Ladle pickling liquid over cucumbers leaving 1/4″ head space
- Adjust two piece caps. Process pints and quarts 15 minutes in boiling water canner
I got 6 pints out of this and maybe a cup of left over pickling liquid. Incidentally, this was the first canning I’ve done where a jar didn’t seal. That’s OK, it’s in the fridge and I’ll eat them up soon!
Until next time, Eat Well & Keep Digging!