Yesterday I showed you picture of the chives flowering. As I don’t want them to go to seed, I cut them down tonight.
Chive flowers may be used in salads, to flavor vinegar or in an omlet. Being a weeknight, and pressed as always for time, I decided to do a quick stir fry with some shrimp I took out to defrost this morning. This simple dish was ready in the time it took to make the rice, and was delicious with the mild onion flavor of the chives complimenting the delicate shrimp.
Chive Flower and Shrimp Stir Fry
1 tablespoon oil (peanut or canola work well)
Small bunch of chive flower stalks – about 30
8 oz of shrimp, cleaned and peeled
1-2 cloves garlic chopped
2 mushrooms thinly sliced – use whatever you have on hand
1.5 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teasoon sugar
1 tablespoon sambal
- Prepare rice
- Cut chive Flower stalks into 1.5 inch pieces
- Heat wok or skillet over high heat, add oil heat until shimmering
- Add garlic and carrots, stir fry until garlic starts to brown – about 30-45 seconds
- Add shrimp, stir fry until starting to turn pink but not all the way
- Add mushrooms and chives, stir fry 1 minute
- Add fish sauce, sugar and sambal, stir fry about 5 minutes, until shrimp are cooked and chives are crisp / tender
Until next time, Eat well & Keep Digging!