So there I was, looking over one of my favorite blogs: (http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/) and she had made a breakfast fatty. Basically a fillling, wrapped in sausage, wrapped in bacon. I’m not sure I can think of many things better.
Red Bell pepper
1 lb of bacon
1 lb of breakfast sausage
- Diced potatoes, onions, red bell pepper and green chillies.
- Give them a quick saute.
- Let potato /pepper mixture rest for 10 minutes, then place into a gallon zipper bag, formed into a log and into the fridge to set up.
- Open a one pound package of breakfast sausage and put into a 1 gallon zipper bag. Roll it out thin. Then roll it up and put into the fridge.
- Make the bacon weave. A bacon weave it not a new or novel idea, but I have never done on, so it is new to me! One pound of bacon woven on cling wrap. – Hint* – if you sprinkle water on your work surface the cling wrap will stick to that and you can build your weave on a nice clean surface and not gunk up your counter or cutting board.
- This is also rolled up and put in the fridge while the potato filling sets up.
- Slice open the sides of the sausage baggie and open it up.
- Place the potato filling on the sausage – use the bag to help roll it up and then shape to fit on the bacon weave.
- Place the sausage log on the weave and roll it up, wrap in cling wrap, put into big zipper bag and put it back into the fridge.
After a few hours we are ready to assemble the fatty.
I finished it in the oven to 160F internal.
This is pretty spectacular and could easily be adapted to all kinds of fillings.
I also think these would freeze very nicely, so make a bunch, and be happy!
Until next time Eat Well & Keep Digging!