I’ll be honest, at this point I’m not the best at grilling steaks on the BBQ. Some times I nail it, others times, I miss completely. I think it is the open flame that causes me consternation. So I was looking for a method that I would not ruin this gorgeous bone-in ribeye.
A bit of research indicated using a very hot cast iron skillet along with blazing hot oven would do the trick. The skillet sears the steak and the oven (I used the grill) finishes it off.
How to cook a steak in a cast iron skillet
Salt and pepper
- Brush steak with a little oil
- Season with salt and pepper
- Preheat both the grill and the cast iron pan for about 10 minutes on high. Get it good and smoking hot.
- Flop in your steak. Don’t touch it for a couple minutes.
- After 2 minutes flip it.
- After another 2 minutes, add a pat of butter and move to grill. Careful! It’s very hot and heavy.
- Cook until 125F for medium rare. Remove and tent loosely for about 5 minutes.
Until next time Eat Well & Keep Digging!